What is physical interaction？
In my opinion, physical interaction is the communications between people and other devices in a touchable and three dimensional way, which include a integrated process of input, process, and response.
I got some inspirations from this reading passage, which are important for me to recognize what physical interaction is as a former UI designer. And I think they are also answers for What makes for good physical interaction?
- Having a integrated interactive process and performing each part well. It’s why physical interaction is different from reaction or participation, which doesn’t include the whole three process as mentioned above.
- Taking action and giving feedback. Action is important during the process of physical interaction. If a subject has a capability of doing something without actually taking action, we won’t count it as the subject of physical interaction.
- A well designed “thinking” process. This is a metaphor for the core process of physical interaction design. It is especially important, and is the key point differs from user interface design.
- Taking full advantage of the interactivity and people’s hands.
- Breakthrough in the interactive process.
Example of work which is good example of digital technology but is not interactive:
On Burberry’s fashion show, RFID techniques were used to lead the way on the innovation catwalk. However, but it’s not interactive.